RAH 612 Traditional Sustainable Built Environment
Prof. LUNG, Ping Yee, David
Dean, Faculty of Science and Engineering
B.Arch. (University of Oregon)
M.Arch, MA. (University of Oregon)
FHKIA, Hon. HKIP, HK Registered Architect
UNESCO World Heritage & Historic preservation; Vernacular architecture; Western ecclesiastical architecture and theological thoughts
A Registered Architect, Professor Lung studied architecture and Asian Studies in the University of Oregon USA and Christian Studies in the Chinese University of Hong Kong. He has practiced and taught architecture in the US and in Hong Kong. His life-long interest is in the subject of vernacular architecture, an area where he has published and lectured for over 40 years.
Before joining Chu Hai College, Professor Lung was a Professor of Architecture and held the Lady Edith Kotewall Professorship in the Built Environment at The University of Hong Kong, where he had served as Head of Department and Dean of Faculty of Architecture. He is internationally recognized for his scholarship and work in the field of heritage conservation and World Heritage properties. He is instrumental in bringing to fruition three UNESCO World Heritage Inscriptions: Historic City of Macao, Kaiping Diaolou and Villages, and the Historic Cities in the Straits of Malacca.
- LUNG, Ping Yee David, C L P Chan and C X Li (2018 forthcoming). “Sermon in Stone: An Apocalyptic Reading of the Ruin Façade of St. Paul’s Church, Macau”. (Manuscript under preparation).
- LUNG, Ping Yee David and Fung, K.W. (2017 forthcoming). “Xianggang Chuantong Wenwu Jianzhu Yingzao Lilun Yu Jifa Yanjiu: Yi Chuantong Minjian Jianzhu Wei Zhongxin” (An Investigation of the Architectural Theory and Building Technique in Hong Kong Historical Architecture: Case Studies on Chinese Vernacular Architecture), Hong Kong: Antiquities & Monuments Office. (To be published in 2017).
- LUNG, Ping Yee David (2017). “Xianggang de chengshi fazhan he jianju” (The Development of the City and Architecture in Hong Kong), in Hong Kong History: New Perspective, (2 vols.), ed. Wang Gung-wu. Hong Kong: Joint Publishing (H.K.) Co. Ltd. pp. 227-300. [ISBN 978-962-04-3885-1]
- LUNG, Ping Yee David (2016) “Vernacular Architecture of Asia: Tradition, Modernity and Cultural Sustainability”, Published manuscript. Hong Kong: The University of Hong Kong, a massive open online course (MOOC), first launch on EdX platform in July.
- LUNG, Ping Yee David (2015) “The Search for Vernacular Architecture of Asia”, Published manuscript. Hong Kong: The University of Hong Kong, a massive open online course (MOOC), first launch on EdX platform in April.
- LUNG, Ping Yee David (2013) “Gailun: wenwu bayou zhi lilun jichu yu shijian – Chengzhong luzhou zhi qifa” (General Account: Theory and Practice in Heritage Conservation – Inspirations from Central Oasis), in Chengzhong Luzhou – Gongzhong canyu (Urban Oasis – Community Participation). HK: Urban Renewal Authority, pp. 2-14.
- LUNG, Ping Yee David (2012) “Built Heritage in Transition: A Critique on Hong Kong’s Conservation Movement and the Antiquities and Monuments Ordinance”, in Hong Kong Law Journal, Spring edition, vol. 42, pp. 121-141 Part I [ISSN 0378 0600].