Architectural Design and Theory II
Mr. KANSARA Atul
BA Arch (Hons) Greenwich University, United Kingdom
Dip Arch (Hons) Greenwich University, United Kingdom
Royal Institute of British Architects (RIBA) full member
Architects Registration Board, United Kingdom (ARB) member
UK Registered Architect
Atul joined the Department of Architecture of Chu Hai College of Higher Education as Assistant Professor in August 2015.
Previously he served as Design Director for HOK International (Singapore) and Senior Project Designer at TFP Farrell’s Hong Kong where he gained valuable, extensive professional experience locally in Hong Kong and various market sectors globally. His professional experience in the field of architectural design spans over two decades in the Asia Pacific region with world-class architectural practices leading architectural teams on all phases of design from initial concepts, client delivery through to construction.
The scale and variety of projects range from very large-scale master planning design proposals, civic, mixed-use developments to the individual, iconic buildings, and luxury private residences.
Outside of professional practice, Atul has been active in teaching at tertiary level as studio design tutor, lecturer and as a student mentor, managing core teaching activities within the design studio, communicating and connecting students with industry leaders and prestigious architectural firms thus maintaining vital links between practice and academia since 2011.
He has also actively participated in student workshops, student design competitions and supervised student research writing for final year dissertations.
Atul is regularly invited as a guest critic for student presentations, educational design workshops and has helped extensively with promoting student talent in collaboration with local artists.
Areas of research and special interests include:
Solar Technologies for Space Cooling, Sculpture and Façade and Building Envelope Typologies
- Beyond the Urban Edge: The Ideal City? Page 98-99 published December 2013
- Continuum Edited by Sir Terry Farrell – Works of the Hong Kong and London Offices 2001-2011
- ASEAN Edition Roof and Façade Asia Vol 7 No: 69 January 2010
- HOK Asia Monograph 25 year anniversary published 2009
- UK.HK Farrell’s Placemaking published 2008
- Mauritian Press L’Express 7 May 2008
- SCMP Article ‘Greepeace’ 24/7 September 2002
- Competition Record, Center for Youth Development published 2001
- Public Housing in the New Era, Shui Cheon O, March 2001
- Hinge Magazine – Center for youth Development Volume 73 pages 18-20
- Hinge Magazine – Public Facilities Volume 72 pages 56-57
- Building Review issue 243, 1997
- AU Magazine February 1997, pages 52-55
- Asian Contractor
- World Architecture News