Architectural Design and Sustainability I
Holistic Approaches in Sustainability
Prof. IWAMURA, Kazuo
B.Eng, M.Eng (Architectural Design) (Waseda U),
Professor Emeritus (Tokyo CityU)
AIJ, JIA, UIA
Holistic environmental design
Professor Kazuo Iwamura is Professor Emeritus of Tokyo City University, Japan. He studied architecture at the graduate school of architecture of Waseda University, Tokyo, followed by internship in Paris receiving a grant from the French Ministry of Foreign Affairs for the Technical Cooperation Program.
He is also the principal and founder of IWAMURA Atelier Inc., which focuses upon urban and architectural research, design, implementation and consulting, based on a holistic environmental design approach by networking related experts or organizations according to project features. He worked in urban and architectural design at Agence Candilis in Paris, Athens and Saudi Arabia (1974-77), and co-founded AG5 (Arbeitsgemeinschaft für Architektur und Städtebau) (1977-80) implementing the “Baubiologie” (Building and Biology) approach to urban and architectural design in Germany and the Middle East, and founded IWAMURA Atelier Inc. in 1980 in Tokyo.
Professor Kazuo Iwamura has been contributing to a variety of domestic and international organizations including 1) the Japan Institute of Architects (JIA) as Vice-president and Councilor, 2) the International Union of Architects (UIA) as Vice-president, Councilor, Co-director of the UIA work program, Architecture for a Sustainable Future and Co-director of the UIA International Competition Commission, 3) the World Green Building Council (WGBC) as a member of the board of directors, and 4) the ARCASIA (Architects Regional Council Asia) as the director of the ARCASIA Committee on Green and Sustainable Architecture.
He was frequently awarded such as the World Habitat Award in 2002 by UN-Habitat, and the Architectural Institute of Japan (AIJ) Award in 2003 for a series of works regarding “Environmentally Symbiotic Housing”, as well as JIA Environmental Architecture Award 2001, 2006 and 2013. His English written works include Glocal Document 2000, Forefront of Sustainable Architecture (2000), and Towards Architecture for a Global Environment (2002), Asian Breezes (2005), Architecture for a Sustainable Future (2005), CASBEE (2014) and many others.
- Kazuo Iwamura (2015) “Kaleidoscopic Review of Housing and Communities from around the Globe”, Sohjusha
- Shuzo Murakami, Kazuo Iwamura(2014) & Raymond J. Cole, “CASBEE (English),” IBEC
- Kazuo Iwamura (2012) “Housing for Human Security”, Sojyusha
- Kazuo Iwamura (2007) “Urban Design in the Era of Global Environment,” Maruzen
- “Asian Breezes: towards sustainable architectures (English),” Japan Institute of Architects, (2005)
- “Architecture for a Sustainable Future (English)”, IBEC, (2005)
- Kazuo Iwamura (2003),“Building, Culture & Environment”, Blackwell Publishing, UK, p332-358
- Kazuo Iwamura (2002) “Towards the Architecture for a Global Environment”, Shokokusha, (The second edition, 2009)
- Kazuo Iwamura (2000) “Glocal Document 2000: Forefront of Sustainable Architecture”, BioCity
- “Architecture of the Future (English)”, Japan Institute of Architects, (1999)